Re: [VHFcontesting] was More Roving - now Stop the Complaining!

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] was More Roving - now Stop the Complaining!
From: wemccourt@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:57:36 +0000
There are people who would say that your comments on Marshall's posting are
pretty naive and altruistic but, I do contesting for precisely the same
reasons.  Because I like to do it!

With my modest station and crummy stealth antennas I know I don't have a prayer
of winning anything but a Booby Prize but I do it for the enjoyment of the
sport.  How many duffers do you see on the golf courses every weekend?  They
know that they're not Tiger Woods but they're out there every weekend for the
enjoyment of playing.

As to roving, I do it because I can't set up permanent antennas outside my
house so it gives me another outlet to enjoy my ham radio hobby.  I do it for
FUN not to try and win cheap prizes or verbal praise from peers.  I really
don't care too much about what others think of my efforts.  I'm in it for what
I personally get out of it and if someone gives me an "attaboy" along the way
so much the better.

There are always going to be people who are going to twist a situation to their
particular needs in order to fulfill some personal need for quick gratification
without having to slog thru the "growth" process gaining experience and skills
along the way.  You'll never prevent this no matter how you rewrite the rules.

Complaining and whining about it never accomplishes anything so give it up!

Bill-WF1L

From: John Geiger <aa5jg@yahoo.com>