Re: [VHFcontesting] open logs ruling

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] open logs ruling
From: kr7o@vhfdx.com
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 14:12:34 -0800
At 08:38 PM 12/4/2008 -0800, frank bechdoldt wrote:

>I would be interested to read something from the ARRL about no open logs
>other than someone saying it exists.

OK, so here is the quote from when the rule was dropped.  Sorry, I missed
that the change was dropped, but I don't religiously follow what is going
on in DXCC since I primarily operate 160M and VHF+.

 From this week's ARRL Letter:

"The Board also acted on the Programs and Services Committee report,
voting to eliminate Rule 5 from Section III of the DXCC Rules. The
Committee realized that while publishing log data can have a
detrimental effect on operating awards, it was not possible to
control such actions and the rule cannot be enforced. As part of an
effort to maintain the integrity of operating awards programs, the
Board called on staff to create resources and guidelines for QSLing
and for QSL managers. These guidelines will help people who QSL to
understand the "best practices" and help to support the work of the
QSL manager so that access to log data won't degrade Amateur Radio's
long tradition of the honor system."

This quote was posted on the CQContest reflector 7/25/08.

So, it was dropped because it was unenforceable, not because there
weren't  concerns over misuse of published logs.

>Heres a clip of what I found:
>
>Some good news from ARRL: in the ARRL Newsletter from July 25th they
>announced to drop rule 5 of section III of the DXCC rules. This means that
>open logs are are not any more subject to possible disqualification from
>the award program. I think this is good news since internet logs have
>already become state of the art and best practice in radio sports. We will
>continue to provide our RRDXA online log to all members all will enhance
>the service in the future. From my point of view there is just one thing
>to consider: if a log is opened with all QSOs details, QSL managers should
>stop correcting QSO data on request like "....I worked you at 09:21 on 21
>CW but you got my callsign wrong..." since these kind of requests are
>obviously too easy with open logs. So please don't change logs unless you
>are 100% sure about the request. Most DXpeditions do online logs so it's
>easy for everybody to check whether you got in the log.

73, Robert KR7O/YB2ARO, DM07ba/OI52ee  (ex.  N7STU)
kr7o@vhfdx.com

www.vhfdx.com (KR7O/YB2ARO homepages)