Re: [VHFcontesting] Something entirely different

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Something entirely different
From: "David Olean" <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 00:35:40 -0000
Thanks to all who provided assistance in figuring out the old Tecraft
transmitter.  Gene, W3ZZ found an old review in a 1956 QST!! The old slugs
in  the coils had changed value and needed some tweaking. The mult chain was
supposed to be 24-72-144 and then straight thru in the 6360 stage. I got the
24 MHz coil back on freq, then decided to use the second stage at 48 instead
of  the 72 it originally was.I now have 7.5 watts out with 260 vdc and the
original tubes. Now it just needs some tube checking. It should do about 10
watts with everything working perfectly. I have an 8.000 MHz FT-243 xtal and
it comes out on 144.013. It won't be long until the DX is rolling in! I need
a better xtal up in  the AM band somewhere. I found an 8007 kHz crystal but
a pin is broken off. I can swap holders and maybe grind the crystal up a few
khz to where I want it. Man this is fun!

Dave K1WHS