[VHFcontesting] Repair for Beko Elektronik HLV-280 Amp

To: "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Repair for Beko Elektronik HLV-280 Amp
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:23:02 -0600
After contacting the US distributor, I hired an electrician to come to my shack
and install a 220 Volt AC line for this beautiful amp. Per their instructions,
the outlet was wired to be 110 volts on each leg for a total of 220 volts. This
was verified using a multimeter several times.

After some digging, we obtained a suitable power cord, and at last performed
the "smoke test". As you could guess, it was literally that. A harsh "crack", a
wiff of some from the back of the amp where the power supply is located and
nothing else. Surprisingly, the fuse did not blow.

So, now I'm at a loss. Will need to have the amp repaired, and then try to
figure out what caused the problem in the first place. Amp is a "long term
loan", so this will all be on my dime. Any advice appreciated. Yes, I did send
an e-mail to the company in Germany, waiting on a reply now.

73,

Les Rayburn, director
High Noon Film
100 Centerview Drive Suite 111