[VHFcontesting] January VHF Test (In Memory of Rex Turner, W5RCI)

To: "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, "Alabama Contest Group" <acg@alabamacontestgroup.org>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] January VHF Test (In Memory of Rex Turner, W5RCI)
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 23:09:01 -0600
What a difference a year makes. Last year's January VHF Sweepstakes was my
first ever VHF contest. 40 points and 8 QSO's was nothing to write home about,
but I had a blast.

One year later, I had another great time, managing 50 more Q's for a total of
58, and breaking the 2,000 point mark. Still won't win any paper with that
performance, but for indoor antennas, low power, and limited operating time, it
was a dream. Highlights included my first ever 2.3ghz contact on CW with W4ZRZ
at a distance of about 40 miles, and picking up a new grid on six meters.

The only downside was not searching on Sunday afternoon for Rex Turner, W5RCI.
During the past year, Rex wasn't much into contests, preferring to chase DX
instead, but he usually got on during Sunday afternoons and gave out a few
contacts to the regulars. He's been the "dean" of our little informal group
here during my rookie year, and without him, things don't seem quite the same.
He was mentioned often in QSO's that I heard on the band, and I paused to
remember him on the "forgotten band" of 222mhz. I always thought of Rex as "Mr.
222".

Thanks to all who participated, and for all the help that these two lists have
given me during this year. I'm enjoying ham radio more than I have in my life,
and it's a credit to all of you.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf