[VHFcontesting] Using 5.8ghz Networking for VUCC Credit

To: <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Using 5.8ghz Networking for VUCC Credit
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:42:25 -0600
Myself and a couple of other hams are interested in attempting to complete VUCC
on three bands during a single weekend. Our plan is to seek out a convergence
spot where four grids meet, and we have a clear RF and optical path to a 5th
grid. We'd fully document all locations using GPS receivers and video tape, per
VUCC recommendations.

We would then use two borrowed 10ghz transceivers, along with a homebrew laser
transceiver, and something on 5.8ghz. The "something" on 5.8ghz is the subject
of my questions:

One idea that we've kicked around is to purchase 5.8ghz Wi-Fi routers and/or
networking cards, and then modify their firmware to place them on amateur
channels. We would then use external high gain antennas (loop yagis) to get the
necessary gain for the long range link. It might be necessary to add some sort
of external amplifier to complete the 60 or so mile path.

Why not just use transverters and IF rigs? Good question. The truth is that
cost is a big factor. The consumer stuff is cheap compared to a
transverter---and we have no plans for future 5.8ghz operation since it would
be limited to a couple of contests and a couple of stations. The networking
gear could be repurposed for it's original application just by reversing the
firmware mod, and reverting it to FCC Part 15 status.

So, I've got a ton of questions:

1. Anyone else attempted this? I'm sure I must be missing something since the
ARRL isn't giving away 5.8ghz VUCC's like candy....

2. Would it be permissible to transmit our callsigns and signal reports using
SSID? For example, N1LF 26, similar to WSJT mode exchanges. Or is there
something more efficient and practical that we could use to exchange the data
over these long paths?

3. Flat panel patch antennas with advertised gain of 21dbi are very
inexpensive. Any chance we could complete the path using these alone?

4. The other option would be to borrow 5.8ghz transverters but they seem to be
a lot less common around here than the 10ghz set-ups. Any other ideas?

5. Is there another consumer product using 5.8ghz that would be easier to
hack/more affordable?

Any and all help appreciated!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF