[VHFcontesting] Grid Squaring and Scoring Changes

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Grid Squaring and Scoring Changes
From: "Bruce Richardson" <w9fz@w9fz.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 11:24:27 -0600
Hi James and all:

Let me opine for a bit on distance based scoring. I
generally like the idea of distance based scoring because we
generally consider distance to be the biggest barrier
needing conquering. The bigger the distance conquered yields
the bigger reward.

Only through hearsay, I've heard that one of the goals of
the N6NB's efforts is to point out how distance based
scoring would be better.

As we've seen, rules effect behavior.  And when we have a
VHF or UHF contest evolve to distance based scoring, we need
to be VERY careful picking the rules because it will effect
behavior hugely.

For instance, the 10GHz current rules require one station to
move at least 10 miles before working the same station
again.  That rule reinforces the behavior of massing the
number of stations on both ends of a path (or at least one
end :-) ) and having one end move the minimum distance and
do it all again.  We've found that pointing in only one
direction is the fastest and surest.  Being distracted with
pointing in other directions, while interesting, doesn't
really help score.  Having grid circled once back in about
1994, I find our 10GHz behavior has a similar feel.  Lots of
activity over non-trivial paths.  Some of the distances we
are working really are impressive.  But we are in a rut
focussing only on one hilltop in order to maximize our
score.  I would like to see rules reinforce a behavior of
looking in multiple directions rather than just one friendly
target. We find that we can get 3 moves and contacts per
hour when we are really humping.  Of course, the more
stations we can mass in each group helps the score quickly
because no new azimuth needs to be found. If we slowdown to
point in other directions, our total score actually suffers
because the yield for looking in a new direction isn't
rewarded for the amount of time/effort required.  I think
that is too bad because looking in other directions and
contacting other operators is a good thing in my view.  But
when there is only one station as the reward, it can't
compare to the mass of stations on the friendly target hill.

If we ever go to a VHF/UHF distance based scoring, I hope we
look at a larger increment for "minimum move" AND, most of
all, I hope we throw in a time constraint limiting one
contact per hour (or something like that). Oh, some will
howl "how can you limit my fun?".  But without a rule
limiting time interval between re-contacts, the reinforced
winning behavior will be to only look at one destination
station.  Turning to other directions won't have enough
reward for the amount of effort. A winning score would be
reinforced to move the minimum increment and recontact the
friendly target again because it's more of a sure thing than
turning in new/other directions.  If we had a time limit, my
time would be well spent banging away in a new direction.

So, to reiterate, whenever we have another contest evolve to
distance based scoring, I hope we pick rules carefully.  We
should consider desired behaviors and select rules that
elicit those behaviors.

Ya know what, I agree with you that all 4 or 6 of our
contests are too similar in scoring rules. As a result, all
the behaviors are the same. I'm up for a little more variety
in our contests.  (I like the SBMS contest by the way--I
hope it continues to grow.)  Also, I think we should discuss
further your "minimum time in grid" or time constraints
ideas.

Thanks,
Bruce Richardson W9FZ

> Subject: [VHFcontesting] Grid Squaring and Scoring Changes
> To: Steve Clifford <k4gun.r@gmail.com>
> Cc: James Duffey <JamesDuffey@comcast.net>,   VHF
Contesting Reflector
>       <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>

Snip

> It is because the scoring in those contests is such that
there is no
> benefit to grid circling and because everybody in the
contest benefits
> from the pack's actions.

Snip

> Rovers that travel in a pack get the 100 points for
working each other
> and a point or two for the distance. They all get points
for working
> other home stations or other rovers in other locations.
Everybody
> benefits. A home station can point his beam at one heading
and work
> several stations.
>
> The VHF/UHF contests could be structured the same way. The
VUAC should
> recommend to the board that at least the UHF contest be
structured
> this way as an experiment.
>
> There are other scoring methods that effectively dilute
the impact of
> grid circling. Minimum QSO distances are one. Time spent
in a grid are
> another. Having all QSO points the same for all bands is
another.

> I think that we need to get away from having the rules and
scoring in
> all of the VHF/UHF contests the same. Emphasizing
different objectives
> for different contests would seem to be a good thing. -
Duffey