[VHFcontesting] Speed Racer Lunch Boxes

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Speed Racer Lunch Boxes
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 11:33:55 -0800
Ok if Wayne is such a great guy to the ham community, why doesn’t he rent,
lease or just plain lend his “million dollar” base station to newbies to win
the ARRL HF sweepstakes.

Oh I know why. He can’t possibly build enough hf stations and lend them out to
work him and his team almost exclusively to win under the rules of other ARRL
contests.

Why can’t we get the rules changed where he can’t manipulate a win by creating
and loaning out several lunch boxes. Oh I know why, he’s on the committee.

The Illinois gov. never did anything wrong either.

He may hand a FMer a lunch box and help them win an award. But when the FMer
goes home with no gear, how is it better for the community as a whole?  IE you
can teach a man to fish or you can give them a fish, or an award on a silver
platter.

The way the ARRL is handling these lunch box stations is insulting to those of
us who go out there and try to work as many home stations as possible.  That
was the original intent of roving. It is now twisted by a bunch of people who
can fit stations into an incredible hulk or Barbie Lunch box and arrange
contacts across farmers fields and enter in the beginning class on bands no
beginner ever has. Well unless your friends with Wayne and willing to inflate
his score.