[VHFcontesting] lunch box radio

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] lunch box radio
From: John Logsdon <k2sto@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:52:22 +0000
I like k8mr's racing analogy. I am a rover, partially because my home QTH is in
the middle of an oak forest. I drive around Florida with an antenna forest on
the back of my pick-up. I get stares from Sheriffs and wide-eyed kids in the
back seat of Disney-bound families. (I have a call letter license)

When I rotate some of the smaller antennas I get long looks from the "Aliens
are all around us" club. Putting a rover station together is a struggle. Being
active on the bands is fun, no matter who gets a benefit from my participation.

Do I really care if I come in first? No. Is the contest a contest for me to get
off my backside and be active or is it a contest for a club to come in first? I
think the former although I list my log as a Club entry. (FLWSS)

Would I be a captive Rover. No! Would I team up with another Rover? Yes, just
to have the fun of more microwave contacts. Down here in EL/EM territory there
are precious few stations with equipment. We also suffer from a paucity of high
spots and a surplus of tree shaded Interstate overpasses. The airport parking
garages have over-eager TSA officers on their roofs and lots of EMI. I have
even thought about renting a motel room in a high rise with good window
placement.

So I have  skin in the game but I don't really get too excited about lunch box
rovers- especially if they are not "captive".

But then...  I never played competitive sports either.

Having more fun with greater frequency!
John