[VHFcontesting] refined percentage rule

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] refined percentage rule
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 10:40:18 -0800

Mark Adams, PE wrote:> Calling all rovers! If rover-rover contacts are worth
ZERO points, how  > many of you will continue to rove?

Yes if nothing else works then go to this extreme. Roving was intended to help
the home stations. It is not a selfish act.

I do believe a workable answer would be counting 10-20 percent of the non rover
to rover contacts for qso points and multipliers.  IE I work 600 QSO’s, 500 of
them are not with rovers.  Therefore I would Cherrie pick the top 50 contacts
for mults and points and log the other 50 contacts for zero points and mults.

All the contacts need to remain in the log for the log checker.

Of course unlimited rovers are exempt from this rule.

What is the result here?

Unlimited team efforts would be enhanced.

  Now non unlimited could log more than 100 QSO’s back to the unlimited rover
and the unlimited would count them all while the other would be a function of
the non roving contacts they produce.   Imagine the QSO points of one unlimited
person working all those rovers instead of each one just 100 times.  This would
triple or quadruple their score while leaving the rest of the roving system
fairly in tact.

This would encourage other rovers in this heard to work other home stations
while waiting for their schedule with the “mother ship”.

Even I would participate in such an activity as a rover checking into the
mother ship every so often.

No incentive for rovers to delete contacts that would give the ARRL and other
entrants a head ache.

It would be a simple program change for logging programs.  Paper logs would
need to count the number of non rover stations worked and assign the 10 percent
number for Cherrie picking QSO points and Mults.

Rovers are still rewarded for random or scheduled contacts because they will
naturally choose to count the QSO’s where other rovers were in rare places and
not count the points and mults of duplicated squares or low band contacts.

Example how much does a rover loose in Cleveland if he drops all of his
Cleveland low band contacts and counts all the ones across the great lakes in
Ontario?  Likely 1 to 2 percent of their score.

This will provide a natural incentive for rovers to turn the VFO, work FM, CW
ect. To get more contacts and thus give them the bonus of crediting more rover
to rover QSO’s.

I’m of the opinion it should be 10 percent,  in 2006 my personal highest
percentage is about 15 percent which would of meant I would of not credited
about 25 rover to rover contacts all on 2 and 6 meters in grid squares I worked
some one else in. I had 80 multipliers so I would of lost 25 qsos at 80 points
each for 2000 points out of a 69000 point total.

of course the 100 qso limit would go away.

Please feel free to pick away at this.
This is a public forum and the VUAC does monitor.