Re: [VHFcontesting] The Psychology of Contest Participation

To: jshupienis@ccac.edu, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] The Psychology of Contest Participation
From: aa4zz@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:05:47 -0500

The only way to fix it is to explicitly prohibit grid-circling in limited rover
and "classic" rover categories.

This is correct and I and others pointed it out years ago. There are two ways
to prohibit Grid circling:

1 Define it and then ban it. While this would be the most definitive the League
has always avoided this because it requires a judgement of a contest official.
I've never understood this since many of the other rules require judgement as
well.

2 Put in rules to make it a nonproductive strategy. For example requiring a
wait of several hours to reactivate a previously activated grid. The?rub is
that is can also affect the traditional Rover, however it seems to me some
inconvenience may be necessary to maintain the purity of the competition.

73 Paul AA4ZZ