Re: [VHFcontesting] one stop (pass) grids

To: <aduhawk@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] one stop (pass) grids
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 21:23:30 -0800
neither one of those are on the docket for change.
I like distance scoring but I do not believe it should replace all of the
traditional contests.
In fact it could be ran in parallel of the existing contest.  Much like a track
meet is to sports.  We will never easily get beyond population density in terms
of fairness.

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 04:41:36 +0000From: aduhawk@comcast.netTo:
k3uhf@hotmail.comCC: vhfcontesting@contesting.comSubject: Re: [VHFcontesting]
one stop (pass) grids

I have been half-following the several topics recently.  As a rover who has
been competitive on a regional level for many years all that I can say is that
all of this looks like we're throwing out the baby with the bath water.  We
have had some challenges related to our roving during the past few contests and
have been looking forward to getting back into it.

Distance scoring and "one pass" grids...I don't know anymore.

73, Tim K0PG----- Original Message -----From: "frank bechdoldt"
<k3uhf@hotmail.com>To: vhfcontesting@contesting.comSent: Tuesday, February 17,
2009 10:08:37 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada CentralSubject: [VHFcontesting] one stop
(pass) gridsI think Ev has good intentions on othe one pass grid idea.  However
it is not practical, fair (oh gosh I said fair, look out) nor good for
stationary contestants. If the point is to work as many people as possible why
should I ignore someone if I am in a grid for a 5 minute leg of a road only to
get there later at my desired local.  This happens all the time with roads.  I
just stop and work em if I hear em. Why should I or the home station loose a
qso oppertunity due to a crooked road.   I do see the point of it stoping
circlers.  But the better way to do this is to either engineer the rules to
match the intent of the contest, change the intent of the contest to match the
rules, or have the guts to review or judge people's actions to see if they are
within the rules you laid out.