Re: [VHFcontesting] rover rules

To: VHF Contesting eMail Remailer <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] rover rules
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:17:40 -0800 (PST)
--- On Mon, 2/23/09, Jim Forsyth <mail@jimforsyth.com> wrote:
> Ev,
> There have been so many posts on this thread I forgot, what
> is it you are trying to fix?
> Jim AF6O

Hi Jim,
In regard to "absurdly high scores generated by re/contacting a small number of
participants...and being rewarded for doing so, publicly", there are several
"fixes" that can be applied.  I've suggested several over the years,
including...

(a) enforce existing rules that infer the practice of contacting
    only a small number of stations is not the purpose of the contest
(b) define the practice of "grid circling" and ban it
(c) limit the ability for rovers to re-activate grids

Though all three suggestions would work to reach a "fix", they have met with
considerable resistance (often from different audiences).  The resistance is
usually associated with past practices that would have be modified, while the
problem is "fixed".

The discussion seems to be caught in "engineering purgatory".  It is the place
where everyone likes to "tweak" without ever reaching a final, stable state. :)
 I'm ok with that, too. :))

Regards,
Ev, W2EV