Re: [VHFcontesting] Questions on making a valid contest QSO.

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com, w4wa@windstream.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Questions on making a valid contest QSO.
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 14:00:46 -0700 (PDT)

I do. At least most of the time. In fact I ID quite profusely during contests
so that if someone happens to tune across me as I'm working someone else that
they can figure out who I am.

I can't count the times I've encountered some ops who are in a 'rag chew'
chatter mode with obvious semi DX accents that I can't figure out who they are
because they hardly ever ID. So if I'm chatting with someone during an activity
lull I do make it a point to ID after most every back and forth, even though
the FCC rules don't require it. In contests it is all about being heard, and by
extension of that being identified.

Duane
N9DG

BTW with some practice you can actually tell different local accents within
regions of this country for people from as little as 100-150 miles away...
Unless of course they happen to be transplants ;)...