[VHFcontesting] E Skip Season ALWAYS begins in August

To: "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] E Skip Season ALWAYS begins in August
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 11:33:09 -0500
After finally working W9SE on WSJT Meteor Scatter this morning, I was rewarded
with another treat. As I spun the knob to 50.125, I was greeted with a big,
booming voice that said, "QSYing to 135". I followed the voice, and instantly
recognized K5HCT (Here Comes Texas).

After he signed, a quick call resulted in a nice QSO and then another with his
neighbor, W5NQH.

August was my first ever 6 Meter E-Skip contact just over a year ago on May 13,
2009. I know there are a number of beacons on the Magic Band, but the bell
weather for me is always that signal from Texas. If it's August, it must be
e-skip season. Look for the band to open nicely in just a few days guys!

And to think, I wasted all those years on HF.... (sigh)

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park