[VHFcontesting] Now I see what is wrong with Limited Categories

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Now I see what is wrong with Limited Categories
From: James Duffey <JamesDuffey@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 18:57:42 -0600
As a member of this list for the past 4 or 5 years, I never fully
understood the posts about the the limited multi category was bad.

Now I understand. I started roving in the June 2007 contest with 6
meters and have added a band and/or amplifier at a time since then to
emerge with a full fledged, competitive Limited Rover. I recently
bought a TS-2000X for the rover to replace 4 transceivers, 4
amplifiers, 3 preamps, one transverter, and one DSP. It is nice to
have everything in one box. And I got another band, 1296 GHz, in the
process. My elation at the new acquisition lasted until I started
planning the rove. I quickly realized that I would now have to enter
the Classic Rover category. Then the impact of this started to settle
in. I would move from being a top ten competitor in the Limited Rover
category to an also ran in the Classic Rover category. While I could
still compete for a top position in the Division Classic Rover
Category, that would be tenuous at best, and as soon as the heavy
hitters up in Colorado realized that they could compete in the Classic
Rover category and blow me away I would be an also ran in the Division
as well.

So there seemed to be no incentive, at least from a competitive
standpoint in the contest, to move up. I seriously considered not
using the 1.2 GHz capability of the TS-2000X and remaining a Limited
Rover. Then I considered why I rove. It is fun. It is challenging,
there is nothing quite like completing a 300 mile plus QSO under flat
conditions, with 10 Watts on 432 MHz. I also rove to give fixed
stations more contacts, more grids, and to try to increase
participation. I also rove because I am competitive and I can compete
most effectively in VHF/UHF contests as a rover.

I concluded that all of these reasons why I rove would be enhanced by
adding 1296 to my limited rover and entering the Classic Rover
category. Especially getting others involved. A local was lamenting
about his recent 1296 transverter purchase that he it had cost him $43
per contact. Well if I can get that cost down, and other locals that
have 1296 capability on, then so much the better.

But it was really a bit of a struggle to do the right thing. Limited
categories really limit station expansion. And I think that is bad.

Now I understand. - Duffey

--
KK6MC
James Duffey