Re: [VHFcontesting] Putin up

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Putin up
From: kr7o@vhfdx.com
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 15:10:35 -0700
At 02:00 PM 5/28/2009 -0700, frank bechdoldt wrote:

>Jim Time to put up:
>

>QST's article stating that the group you sometimes travel with worked
>themselves for 98 percent of their QSOS.
>June 08 QST issue.  Mentions it in a neutral fashion, but confirms it exists.

So what?  That doesn't prove they aren't actively trying to work stations
when they are not working their group.  I hear them CQ and work stations
any time they are in range.  It is a legal, operational strategy.

>The sad thing is that the group you have traveled with and many others
>will not put up or knock it off. They refuse to voluntarily share their
>logs and hide behind the defunct skirts of the ARRL to say they don't have
>to make logs published.

I know of at least one published log on the internet from this
group.  Spend some time and you will probably find it.  Anyway, what do you
think it will prove?  You claim to know how they operate, why should they
share their strategy?  It is not required by the ARRL or FCC rules to
publish logs.

>The only way to effect change at this point is to embarrass the ARRL about
>the true nature of the ham activity above 2.4 ghz.  The FCC needs to know
>the lack of skill it takes to work the car ahead of you in a caravan on 10
>ghz.  This is how we police ourselves when we tried to get this settled
>for years and tried to allow traditional roving to co-exist with people
>who only work themselves.

So you are willing to risk the loss of OUR microwave spectrum because a few
rovers are having a ball (I have confirmed such with a couple of the
operators) making microwave QSO's over a trivial distance.  I don't see any
distance requirements for a valid QSO in the FCC rules.  I am sure that 99%
of us using the microwave frequencies in no way support your position
above.  The comment above (which you have reiterated at least once) goes to
show your true colors Frank.  One of my best microwave contacts was over
300 miles with 5mw on 10ghz from the roof of a building and over a mountain
range, so all your BS about lunchbox stations being worthless and incapable
of working others is just that, BS!  Go back and read the KK7B transverter
articles in QST.  Those little milliwatt transverters provided a lot of
contacts for people.

>Maybe its sub conscious but that may be the reason my ARRl awards are not
>framed and my 3905 century club  one is.
>
>I need to save those web pages of wayne overbeck for the FCC and those who
>need the spectrum.

There you go again.  I hope some of our new operators don't look up to you
as an elmer.  BTW, do you know that the archives for this list are open to
the public?  Do some searches on the google.  So your comments could well
become fodder for those that want to steal our bands.  Thanks Frank, you
are a role model.

As a disclaimer:  I am not part of N6NB's rover group, but I am friends
with several of the participants.  They are not idiots, lids and most
earned their Extra licenses the hard way, so enough of defamatory comments.
MIcrowave contest activity in CA is higher than ever since it became almost
non-existent around 1996 in part due to N6NB.

73, Robert KR7O/YB2ARO, DM07ba/OI52ee  (ex.  N7STU)
kr7o@vhfdx.com

www.vhfdx.com (KR7O/YB2ARO homepages)