Re: [VHFcontesting] Why does Unlimited Rover exist?

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Why does Unlimited Rover exist?
From: Jerry Siegmund <jer.sieg@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 18:35:06 -0600
So when All of this 'Slowly Starts to Die Down'.. just prior to Contest
Time.. Does it 'Start Up Again' when the Winners are Announced ?  I
remember a Post from the Last ' /R Discussion we will call it '.. Cancel
Your Membership until things cool off.. then Re-Join until the Next
Debate' !   Starting to look like 'Sound Advice' ! lol
Good Luck to All in the Upcoming Contest.. Whether you Rove or Not.. or
just Drive the neighbors Nuts with TVI..  I will be doing My Best at the
Latter !
Jerry VE6CPP
DN39or

Steve Clifford wrote:
> Thanks you for that reply.  I would like to hear from the pack-rover
> apologists to see if they concur with your assessment of why it was created.
>
> Steve
> K4GUN/R
>
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Ray J <ray@w9ray.org> wrote:
>

>> They can have as many operators as they want.
>> They do not need to follow the 100 qso rover limit.
>> They do not need to transport the equipment with them.
>>
>> so they can use a bus load of guys and drive and operate from one
>> multioperator  hilltop site to another,  and work other single rovers
>> alot..
>>
>> Mainly i  think that they made the class for the super grid circler guys
>> to play in,  so the other rovers will stop crying about them beating
>> them in the regular class.
>>
>> w9Ray
>>

>> Steve Clifford wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to hear an answer to this simple question from anybody who
>>>
>> doesn't
>>
>>> understand why the classic and limited rovers are upset about this latest
>>> flap over some obviously misguided rules.  Tell me why Unlimited Rover
>>> exists.  Then tell me what distinguishes those operators from the
>>>
>> operators
>>
>>> in the other two rover categories.  Tell me how the operating realities
>>>
>> are
>>
>>> so different as to require a separate category.
>>>
>>> Based on the behavior of the rule making body of the ARRL, it seems as if
>>> Unlimited Rover was established for no reason other than slightly
>>>
>> reducing
>>
>>> the scores that could be submitted for club competition.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>> K4GUN/R