[VHFcontesting] June Contest Plans for KK6MC/r

To: vhf contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] June Contest Plans for KK6MC/r
From: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 21:26:12 -0600
I am still working on a specific schedule, but here is my general
rover trip plan for the June contest. Virginia is unsure whether or
not she can come along and much what I do is dependent on her as a
driver. If she does not come along, I will probably hit fewer grids,
as I cannot drive, keep up a decent rate, and log all at the same time.

I will start on the West Mesa of Albuquerque in DM64. From there I
will move to DM 65 on 9 mile hill. From there, I will travel on I-40
east to DM55, near Prewitt NM. I will operate from a ridge overlooking
Bluewater. This has good height above average terrain to the north and
south and OK coverage to the east and west.

Then I will head west on I-40 and hit the corner of DM54. I will try
to find a high spot to stop and operate there. Then on to DM44 and I
am sure that I can find a good spot to operate near Holbrock, AZ. From
there to DM45. We will likely spend the evening in Flagstaff, but
depending on conditions, we may get further or not so far.

In the morning we will head to DM46, DM36, and DM35. I want to give
Peter his own grid if I can.

Then South through DM34, and east through DM44, DM54, and DM64 to
Socorro. If time is still available, we will dip down to DM63. At any
rate, we will probably have dinner at the Socorro Springs Brewery.

Then North on I-25 through DM64 to DM65 and home.

This is ambitious, and it may not all get done, or I may not be able
to spend a lot of time in every grid. That is the nature of roving.
Please understand.

I will be able to make contacts while underway, so I won't miss too
many openings. I will also operate from the motel parking lot in the
evening if the band is open.

I typically operate for 45 minutes to an hour in a grid and then move
on. If it is unproductive, I will move on sooner. If 6M is open and I
am in a grid that is not activated too much, I will stay a bit longer.
But the successful rover keeps moving and keeps operating.

I will have 5 bands:

6M TS-2000X 100w to loop(mobile) or 2 el Yagi (fixed)

2M TS-2000X 100W to 4 element Yagi (fixed and mobile)

222M TS-2000X/XV222/120W linear to 6 element Yagi (fixed and mobile)

432 TS-2000X 50W to 8 element Yagi (fixed and mobile)

1296 TS-2000X 10 W to a 11 element Yagi (fixed an mobile)

This is a step up for me from Limited Rover to Classic Rover. I
agonized over this for a bit and then decided that it was the right
thing to do. As far as I can tell, I will be the only rover who has
operated in AZ in the June Contest for many years. If you are from AZ
and want to get on my Rover event distribution list, drop me an e-mail.

Lets hope for SporadiC E. June is pretty bleak without it. Look for me
and listen for the weak ones. - Duffey
--
KK6MC
James Duffey