[VHFcontesting] 1st Time Rover-What the Hell was I thinking?

To: "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 1st Time Rover-What the Hell was I thinking?
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 00:01:42 -0500
After completing all the cabling for my 9-band rover operation, and doing a
series of on-air tests with Jimmy Long, W4ZRZ, I have a new found respect
for rovers! As far as I'm concerned anyone stupid enough to try it deserves a
plaque just for pulling out of the driveway and making the first contact!

First of all, I have to thank my wife Abby, who helped overcome an entire
series of engineering problems with the tilt up mast. She also endured all the
jokes, sneers, funny looks, and comments of our conservative neighborhood
during the past couple of days. Also, Marcus Thomas, KF4YHP who provided the US
Army surplus mast, and showed up this afternoon with a truck bed full of 1/2
Superflex hardline and Belden 9914. We spent the afternoon measuring, labeling,
putting on connectors and finally raising the mast for the on-air tests.

Worked Jimmy on 7 of the bands, but ran out of time to attempt 5.6 and 10ghz.
Did make a contact with Jimmy on 3.4ghz, which was my first contact ever on
that band. Have an issue with the 432 beam, so I'll have to check that during
daylight. Also a big problem with RFI getting in the nice Alpine car audio
system in my new truck. Time for some ferrite beads, shielding, and more
checks. Whew! I'm exhausted just doing the test. You guys do this rover thing
for real? I must be nuts.

If you'd like to see photos of what this set up looks like, visit:

http://n1lf.blogspot.com/

The backseat was filled with radios, transverters, and amps...but I forgot to
snap a photo. More later, I'm sure.

Forget debating if we should change the rules for "Limited Rover". I say we
give all the regular rovers a medal, dancing girls, and a ticker tape
parade!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf