Re: [VHFcontesting] Rovers-Did U keep ur Skeds?

To: "Rick R" <rick1ds@hotmail.com>, "vhf contesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rovers-Did U keep ur Skeds?
From: "Andrew Glasbrenner" <glasbrenner@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:48:27 -0400
Dave, AJ4LU and I operated as KO4MA/R. We kept our schedule, although our
overnight stop moved south about 100 miles. We activated 22 grids in 3
states, covering about 1300 road miles. Our station consisted of directional
antennas on 6m-70cm mounted on the trailer hitch, and M2 loops on 2m and
70cm. Dave has the pictures, so I'll see if he can forward them on to you.
It would be nice to be mentioned in the article this time, especially after
not being mentioned in the January article despite placing 3rd in the nation
in Limited Rover. Not a complaint, as we didn't send in any extras with the
log last time.

I think the highlight of the contest for us was snagging KF4VTT/VP9 on 6m
while on a cloverleaf between I85 and I26. As Dave drove around the 270+
degree loop, I worked the rotor to keep pointed on VP9 and made the QSO.
Having the Par Moxon pointed the right direction helped, after inadvertently
mounting it backwards for the January contest. Also, because of the late
rule change on limited rovers, we had to find 222 gear quickly to replace
our 1.2 GHz gear from January. The Elecraft XV-222 I found on EBay the week
before the contest, and the 7 element M2 antenna was the biggest surprise
for me. Using an 817 to drive the transverter, 222 was consistently better
than our 910 and 3 element beam on 2m.

73, Drew KO4MA