[VHFcontesting] Brain pickin' time - Gerard's 48 Element 6 Meter Rover V

To: <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Brain pickin' time - Gerard's 48 Element 6 Meter Rover Vehicle
From: "N8UM" <n8um@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 20:02:16 -0400
I think the gentleman (not farmer) in Holland you are referring to is
PE1BTX.  I met Gerard last fall and viewed his hilarious presentation on his
massive rover vehicle.  Seems his local zoning board will not let him put up
any more permanent antennas in his yard, so he conceived and built the
vehicle linked below which is mobile and not permanent...  There were about
120 other serious VHFers there.  Anyone else that attended want to
contribute to this urban legend...?

He bought the boom crane off of eBay.  It had been sitting in a field in
Belgium for several years.

He has refurb'ed the 3 phase 220V generator on the crane.

He added a shack (8' x 8') at the base of the boom crane and put a very
serious high power amp in.

Cruise his site at  http://www.pe1btx.nl/crane/index.htm

See the uTube demo of the rover in motion at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiiWUeWacyQ  and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=NL&hl=nl&v=VAN_kZxpe0g  I guarantee you will
not be disappointed...  I think Gerard owns the trucking firm, so the
vehicle will eventually be custom painted (maybe red with flames on the
side?).

John B.  N8UM Oak Ridge, Tennessee