Re: [VHFcontesting] "Handing Out" radio rules/ethics

To: "VHF Contest Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] "Handing Out" radio rules/ethics
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 18:02:02 -0700
Les Rayburn wrote:
Would it have been legal and/or ethical to simply "hand" them the radio and
invite them to participate in the contest by working me on the spot?

Per the many comments, no, you can't do that.  I'm sure you can imagine how
that situation could be abused...

What I suggest you do is say, "Yes, this is a lot of fun!  As soon as you get
home, fire up your radios on an FM simplex channel (except for 146.52 MHz) and
see if you can hear me.  I'll be listening on (frequencies) and so will a lot
of other stations."  Get 'em fired up to go home and give it a try - even with
simple antennas, I'll bet they could make a few QSOs and dip a toe in the
water.  Tell them to check the contest Web site for instructions about how to
send in a list of their QSOs - or offer to do it for them if they email you the
list.

That will pay big benefits for the long term.

73, Ward N0AX