Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] K4ESA/R Report CQWW VHF Event

To: "Bob Mantell" <k4esa@yahoo.com>, <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, "lxpeds" <LxPeditionsAtlanta@yahoogroups.com>, <fourlanders@contesting.com>, "NFARL" <nfarl@yahoogroups.com>, "6meter" <6meter@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] K4ESA/R Report CQWW VHF Event
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:23:44 -0500
Bob Mantell, K4ESA is quickly becoming a force in VHF here in the Southeast!
Just prior to the contest, he tested a new antenna for 432, which sounded
great. Can't wait to work you during the August UHF contest, Bob! It's great
to have someone else nearby who is passionate about weak signal work.

I am honored by his description of N1LF as a "real" rover. Don't think that
I qualify, considering that the CQ VHF contest was only my second effort.
And Bob easily beat my score with his limited operating time! So, please do
send it that log Bob, I think you may have the best rover score in "Four"
land.

This marked only my 10th VHF/UHF contest and my second CQ VHF event, so I
don't have the experience to judge conditions compared to years past, but
they were poor in North Florida. Conditions on Saturday were "dead calm".
In fact, I was speculating that there might even be something like "Negative
Tropo" in effect, since stations that had been easy pickings on Thursday and
Friday night were difficult or impossible to work on Saturday.

Sunday morning saw a weak 6 Meter opening, but with lots of QSB. Search &
Pounce was the only practical tactic for the rover, since CQ's netted no

Call: N1LF/R
Operator(s): N1LF
Station: N1LF
Class: Rover LP
QTH: EL88, EL89, and EM80
Operating Time (hrs): 16 Hours

    6:  31     26

    2:  15     12

Total:  46     38  Total Score = 2318

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:
Planned to activate seven grids in the event, but a sick relative caused
that to go astray. Bands were "dead calm" on Saturday with no propagation at
all. Weak opening on 6M during Sunday morning, but lots of QSB. Fun, but
certainly nothing memorable!