[VHFcontesting] Protest Logs and other things...

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Protest Logs and other things...
From: Marshall Williams <k5qe@sabinenet.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:47:15 -0500
Hello again to all....I have not been able to get the Contest Branch to
give me a straight answer as to whether or not a Protest Log(a log with
NO contacts) would be counted as a "Log Received".  Hence, I will submit
NO log this time.  I do not want the ARRL to count Protest Logs in their
logs received totals so as to make their EME contest look healthy.  IF
you are not going to participate in this EME contest, then do not send
in a Protest Log.

I am not asking anyone to NOT participate, if that is their wish.
Contrary to others, I don't try to tell people how they can and cannot
operate.  IF you are as upset as I am AND you plan not to operate this
EME contest, either because there is no class for you(my case) or
because you want to protest this horrible decision, THEN do not send in
any log.  It might be right to send in a letter to the Contest Branch
specifying why you did not participate--after the contest is over.

For those that might want some background on this mess, I have put on my
web site(www.k5qe.com) all my postings to the VHFContesting Reflector.
Just click on EME Assistance on the left hand side....that will take you
to a page listing the most significant posts that I have made as well as
a new and interesting idea.  The background is important....it helps
someone to understand this issue......somewhat.

Paul's post is VERY important.  The issue is complicated by biases and
prejudices....all of us have them.  There are people on the VUAC that
are there solely to protect their "sacred cow".  There are some hard
working, conscientious people on the committee too.  The members of the
PSC should understand the weak signal VHF world, but in practice, they
are almost all HF guys--with the prejudices and views that HFers have.
I am sure that they cannot understand why deleting the Assisted classes
in the EME contest has generated so much passion.  //

I am trying to wrap my mind around all the points that have been brought
up--both by the Anti-Assistance folks and the pro-Assistance operators.
I intend to try to combine them somehow and make a rational, reasonable
post.  I just have not had time for that....I have had to answer all the
emails received from the little stations.  They are, for the most part,
not very happy.  I also would like to get some operating time
in.....HI.  Until then...

73 Marshall K5QE

P.S.  I did not see Paul's post directly on the Reflector.  I don't know
if I just missed it or it somehow went astray.  I am glad that I saw it
as part of Frank's post.