Re: [VHFcontesting] Contesting differences: VHF and HF

To: "'Kenneth E. Harker'" <kenharker@kenharker.com>, "'VHF Contesting'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Contesting differences: VHF and HF
From: "Eugene Zimmerman" <ezimmerm@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 23:54:46 -0400
Hi Ken

You are correct that I have mentioned differences between HF and VHF
contests in past columns but I have never devoted an entire column to the
subject so even with the limited searching tools available at the ARRL
periodical search I too am unable to find an example.

However you have covered the subject quite well.

The problem in HF contests is finding stations in heavy QRM. So there are
important tradeoffs between Cqing, search and pounce S&P, and how long you
should call in a pileup before you go away and come back later [with the DX
station still there hopefully]. With VHF contests there is QRM only on 6 and
2 and for the most part only on 6. And that QRM is vastly less than in an HF
contest where you must run S1 stations at better than 60 an hour in S9+20dB
QRM and you basically never run out of people to work. The major problem on
VHF is hearing stations and getting them to hear you. This problem is
acerbated by pointing problems - VHF beams have very narrow beamwidths - and
the fact that many VHF stations hear very poorly whether because of inferior
receivers, high system losses and/or local noise [the latter is a real
problem at many urban and semi-urban locations including mine]. Rate is much
less on VHF than HF. Activity on HF has reached the point where the winners
have to average close to 1 Q per minute in order to be competitive. For
instance KE3Q at WP3R in the HF Sweepstakes routinely *averages* well over
100 Q/hr even though the exchange contains 4 different pieces of information
two of which cannot be guessed or looked up in Buckmaster after the contest.
Even someone like K1TEO who is a good operator with a good station in a good
geographic location can't maintain anything close to that rate.

Certain common VHF practices like making schedules before the contest are
looked upon as unethical by many but as you say not all HF contesters. For
instance manufactured contacts like grid circling and captive roving are
unheard of on HF. For a discussion of other differences in ethics see the
August 2008 World Above 50 MHz. Outside of telling others by reflector that
you will be active during a VHF contest especially if you are in an odd
direction from populated areas [like FN01 or FM25 here on the East coast -
fill in you own grids for other areas] and for rovers when in what grids, I
also frown on making analog [cw/ssb] schedules before the contest. But what
about digital WSJT modes? Yes MAP65 and its single axis variant will allow
you to find JT65 signals without schedules but these are far from trivial to
implement and where does that leave the little guy with a single yagi and a
few hundred watts? For meteors either everyone congregates on the calling
frequencies or no one works anything. In my opinion the nature of the mode
is such that schedules are unavoidable whether the VUAC believes so or not.
But that is a discussion for another time.

The bottom line is that there are many similarities between HF and VHF
contests but there are also differences. As you have said, there are lots of
different opinions out there and likely no one set of opinions is completely
right or wrong.

73 Gene W3ZZ