Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] New Icom IC-9100 HF/6M/2M/432/1.2GHZ All modes

To: "Crownhaven" <crownhaven@bellsouth.net>, "William M. Pasternak" <newsline@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] New Icom IC-9100 HF/6M/2M/432/1.2GHZ All modes, including D-Star!
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 00:35:12 -0500
I don't think D-STAR can work on HF, due to timing issues. We have trouble
with sending slow speed data over the reflectors, due to the small delays, I
can't imagine it would survive HF.

However, D-STAR capable satellites are certainly a possibility, I believe
that some are on the drawing board now.

I also see real applications for this radio in the Emergency Operations
Centers at many of our served agencies. At the Alabama
EMA, for instance, we have a pair of aging IC-735's that are due for
replacement soon. A radio like this that would offer HF performance, VHF/UHF
at great power levels, and D-STAR out of the box would make them a perfect
candidate for the replacements.

Adding the 3KHZ roofing filter would certainly improve receiver performance
on 6 Meter (where the IC-746 Pro is already pretty darn good) and the built
in USB interface makes digital modes like WSJT even easier.

Some items on my personal "wish list" would include:

A.) The ability to interface directly with transverters like the IC-756 Pro
III. (doubt it)

B.) The ability to set power output levels for HF, 6M, 2M, and 432. (doubt
it)

C.) The ability to select a receive antenna on HF. (judging from the rear
panel, again, I doubt it)

D.) Ability to update the radio's firmware via the USB jack. (Maybe)

E.) 222 MHz. (Seems clear that isn't in the cards. No allocation in Japan,
and most of the world makes this unlikely. Though an optional module similar
to the 1.2ghz unit might be possible)

F.) Larger number of memories, and the ability to display a "true"
Alpha-Numeric display (The IC-746 has a "unique" way of doing this)

G.) Built in TCXO, and the ability to adjust the RIT function to three
digits after the decimal point. Great for WSJT)

H.) Built in TNC for APRS. (Very doubtful)

Can't wait to learn more about this one!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park