[VHFcontesting] SteppIR's on 6m

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] SteppIR's on 6m
From: Thomas Hybiske <t_biskit@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 04:22:59 -0700 (PDT)
Doug, I run a 3L SteppIR with the passive element on 6m.  I had a stack of
modest sized yagis, and wished to consolidate.  I'm a bit disappointed in the
SteppIR's performance on six in that I thought the forth passive element was
going to give me 4 element performance.  I believe it does not, but rather that
of a 3 element 6m yagi which was what I took down.  That are custom dimensional
revisions of the yagi that some say improves the performance on 6m, but I have
not attempted it yet.  Of course, element revisions are very easy to do with
the antenna.  The passive element is not necessary, but I've head performance
is dismal without it.  Keep in mind that with if you add that passive element,
the 180 degree beam reversal mode (very handy on the HF bands) is rendered
unusable on 6m.  I'm presently planning a second tower to transfer the SteppIR
to, whereupon I plan to put up a separate yagi for 6m, and make that a VHF/UHF
tower only.

Tom Hybiske, K3GM