Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover rules and criticisms

To: <aa5jg@yahoo.com>, <compmtn@instawave.net>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover rules and criticisms
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 15:12:53 -0700
John asked about the rule idea,

Rule idea:

A simple fix as recommended in 2004 and aired out here quite a few times well
before the last 2 sets of at least partially ineffective changes would read
something like this:

Rule 3.3.8

For traditional and limited rovers no more than X percentage of the total
contacts can be rover to rover contacts.  (My opinion would set x at 10-20
percent.) Unlimited Rovers are not bound by this percentage rule.

Or a compromise for really remote people:

Rule 3.3.8

With exception of the up to the first 100 QSO’s traditional and limited rovers
no more than X percentage of the total contacts can be rover to rover contacts.
 (My opinion would set x at 10-20 percent). Unlimited Rovers are not bound by
this percentage rule.

with this some of the other rules may not be needed.

I believe the VUAC said no more than 50 or 30 percent rover to rover QSOs but
that got shot down at the PSC. This would of curbed it quite a bit.

The problem is that the PSC may be more influenced by people who are outside
the bounds of the VUAC. A VUAC that was suppose to represent this community.

I really wasn’t complaining. Someone asked why activity for rovers seemed to
drop in some places. I’m stating why I will send in a blank log and why I did
not turn my radio on at all.   I want to play when there are truly 3 separate
categories with team convoy roving contained in the unlimited category, the
category the ARRL clearly said in QST that they created for this type of roving.

The 100’s independent contacts some of us put out in various ARRL contests may
be gone due to some of the recent changes and lack of correcting the core
issues.  Others came and roved before me and gave it up because of these
issues.  At least I am saying why I am not participating rather than quietly
going away. The only change you get about by quietly going away in something
you care about is a new hobby.

Now everyone will start shouting and once again a meaningful suggestion will be
lost in the cannon fodder. And no I was not the originator of this suggestion,
you can find it in tjh old posts several times.  I think its the best sugestion.