Re: [VHFcontesting] Rovers and the Authorites

To: pipkin29292@mypacks.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rovers and the Authorites
From: Steve Clifford <k4gun.r@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 08:48:34 -0400
My only interaction with the law happened on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and
Tunnel.  One the bridge police stopped by my operating location and started
his conversation like this:  "I'm not here because you're doing anything
wrong, but I've got to ask... what is all of this?"  I explained and while
talking to him, I heard a station near Winchester Va (over 150 miles away)
calling CQ.  I answered and made the QSO with the cop watching.  His eyes
got big.

"You just talked to a guy near Winchester?  I need you to talk to my
captain.  We can barely talk to the other side of this bridge!"

I gave him my contact information as a courtesy, but knew I wouldn't be
called.  He was really impressed and left me alone.

I've seen a number of other cops, but none have bothered to have a closer
look.  I must appear to belong where ever I am.  LOL..

Steve
K4GUN/R