Re: [VHFcontesting] Rovers and the Authorites

To: "'Jeff Thomas'" <wa4zko@yahoo.com>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rovers and the Authorites
From: "Eugene Zimmerman" <ezimmerm@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 13:53:59 -0400
Hi Jeff

This thread has gone on longer than it should but you have hit the nail on
the head.

>>2.  Put yourself in the cop's shoes. He's approaching you most likely
thinking "what in the heck is this guy doing" (I'm using G rated >>>language
here). Put simply, there's nothing normal looking about the average rover's
vehicle, you are going to attract attention.

Absolutely. Police officers are trained to look for the unusual. And what is
more unusual than the average rover. While a few officers are hams or know
hams, I have to disagree with you on this point, Jeff: you may get an
introduction to ham radio in your training but most do not. So putting
flourescent stripes all over your rover vehicle and wearing a bright colored
rain slicker when there is no rain and the temperature is 100F outside is
SURE to attract his attention. Can you blame him for being wary? He is going
to treat you as a nut case until proven otherwise. And nut cases are very
dangerous. They can kill you.

The rest of what you say is right on target. Until that officer is
absolutely sure you are not a whacko, you'd best tread very lighty AND keep
your hands in sight. His life is on the line so who can blame him

Now for the rest of you - for about the 30th time in the past few years
there is a long thread on rover rules. Beat that one to death. But remember
there will never be a consensus and so without a consensus with no
opposition the VUAC is NOT going to recommend any useful changes in the
rover rules and if they do, the PSAC at the ARRL which has the final say
will make absolutely sure it never sees the light of day because there is
always one dissenter. Go to it!!!!

73 Gene W3ZZ