Re: [VHFcontesting] Pack Rover Questions

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Pack Rover Questions
From: "Jim Forsyth" <mail@jimforsyth.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 14:20:56 -0700
Duffey,

Thanks for the comments. The stations are all different. Power levels are
typically 25 - 100 watts on the lower bands and 2 - 10 watts on the
microwave bands.

I think the antenna you are asking about on the camper is a 6m Moxon.

The reason for using FM for contacts between pack members is simply that it
makes things go faster and it solves the occasional problem of FMing due to
a low battery that can make an SSB signal unintelligible. Now that we have
Rubidium stabilization on most of the stations, FM is less of an advantage
than it used to be.

We do not use the calling frequencies for the FM operation. With nine ten
band rovers in the pack that's 360 contacts at a grid. We can do that in
about 40 minutes. The rest of the time we are available for SSB contacts.

The use of FM for contacts within the pack has no effect on contacts with
non pack stations. When we are working each other we run at speeds up to 10
Qs per minute and it would not be workable to mix in random contacts at that
time no matter what mode we were using.

Some of the members make SSB contacts on the calling frequencies while on
the move. Others, me included, do not feel we can safely do that. I make a
few contacts while on the move but not a lot.

The calling frequencies are where to find us.

As regards working you from the Mojave grids, where do you expect to be that
we would have a shot?

Jim, AF6O