Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 144 Sprint

To: <w8zn@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 144 Sprint
From: "David Olean" <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:53:20 -0000
Hi Terry,
    Well you cleaned my clock. Once again I am killed by no activity to my
East and northeast. I worked only two grids there, FN54 and   VE1WLC. In the
other direction I worked out to FN03 in the west.  FN35 was the only
northern grid worked, but I had a pipeline down the coast. Best DX was EM80
81, 85, 95 and 94 along with FM04.  I ended up with 169 Qs and around 36
grids. The log is up in the shack yet. You beat me with more grids. I took a
little time to try some 1296 skeds during the sprint. I stayed pretty much
on 144.180 and think that I lost QSOs by being too far away from the calling
frequency. I heard stations near .200 that never found me on 144.180. After
awhile, I started trolling around 144.200 to find new stations. It was a
madhouse, but there were new stations there, and not on 144.180.  It sure
was a fun night. I brought a single adult beverage along, and popped it at
about 10 PM for a nice treat.
    After the sprint I went to 432 and worked K4SME and N2CEI on that band.
It is not often that I work Florida on 432 tropo.They were just as good on
432 as I heard them on 144, maybe better. Tried a few Qs on 1296 too. I
QRTed at about midnight.
    I am still bummed by that guy in FN54 (the next grid) who worked you,
but never called me only 5 kHz away. He must be a true DXer!!

Dave K1WHS