Re: [VHFcontesting] question

To: "david vari" <david_vari@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] question
From: kb7dqh@donobi.net
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:41:41 -0700 (PDT)
> I just got rid of my HD driect-tv. Is there anything worth keeping from
> the dish on my roof?
>
> dave

Well, the dish and feed will work really nice at 10 Ghz... Especially if
you run a 3/4" boring bar or drill bit down the waveguide.  That will
definitely
put it "in the band".

Most of these I or others have torn apart have two amplifier strips, one
for each polarization... along with two mixers and a Dielectric Resonance
Oscillator, or DRO.  Plus the voltage regulator and negative voltage power
supply to make it all go, and usually one or more "post-mixer" amplifiers,
good from 900-1800 Mhz, some will work as high as 2 Ghz...

If you are really good at "electronic microsurgery" (usual ESD precautions
apply here also) one could use either parts of, or the whole LNB assembly
with appropriate circuit isolation, filters, feeders and switching, an
external oscillator of whatever frequency suits your
IF rig's desire, and put the whole mess up as a 10 Ghz low-power station.

A number of us who hack together junk to build our microwave gear have
used the amplifier strips to almost excessive effect as low-noise preamps
for our
10 Ghz stations... Well, 30dB of gain goes along way as a preamp... and is
plenty for driving an RX mixer!

Eric
KB7DQH