Re: [VHFcontesting] 222MHZ Transverters

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222MHZ Transverters
From: "Tom Staley" <k9tms@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:22:40 -0500
Like Jim I also use an Elecraft XV-222. This replaced a 2nd generation DEMI
222 transverter. I find I prefer the Elecraft to the DEMI. Performance is
basically the same. Having the power display adds a bit of reassurment to
the operator that power is going out. I do agree that the unit can get hot,
the chassis has to work as the heat sink - so make sure it can breath and
all should be ok. The drift issue I have not noticed at all, most likely
this is due to the fact that I bought the oven for mine. One issue that I
did find that is not really a negative just something you need to be aware
of is that my transverter isn't exactly on the frequency - ie: 28.100Mhz =
222.097Mhz. But as long as you know about it all is fine. In my case I drive
it with a TS2000 in the transveter mode so all I do is change the value of
the transverter frequency a bit and the read out is right on.

By the way I also have the XV-144 as well. I really like both.

73 de Tom K9TMS