[VHFcontesting] Cushcraft 32-19 modifications

To: vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu, vhfcontesting@contesting.com, sidewindersontwo@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Cushcraft 32-19 modifications
From: John Geiger <aa5jg@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 07:48:32 -0700 (PDT)
I have been offered a Cushcraft 32-19 2m 19 element yagi (really more like a 17
element yagi) on a 23 foot boom.  The boom length is a little too long for my
current arrangement and the boom also uses crossbraces which wouldn't work good
in my current setup.

I had one of these antennas up in the late 90s when I lived in Iowa and it was
a decent performer.  When I had the one before I was given a second one with it
but it was missing some of the boom supports so I cut it down into a 10 element
yagi or so. It still loaded up ok but didn't ever mount it so don't know how it
performed.

I am wondering if such a "modification" would be worth it on this one.  Do you
think taking 6 or 7 directors (and a few feet of boom length) off of it would
affect performance much?

73s John AA5JG