[VHFcontesting] Scaring Up A Good Time-Halloween Tropo!

To: "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Scaring Up A Good Time-Halloween Tropo!
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:46:46 -0500
Forgive my excitement---because I'm sure that this week's tropo openings in the
Southeast and Midwest are not exactly the stuff of legends to most VHF men. But
to a newcomer like me, it seems like the opening of a lifetime. Despite having
only limited time to spend at the radio, I got all treats and no tricks!

On Wednesday night, I managed to work five new grids and dozens of stations
that had previously only been worked via WSJT meteor scatter. The band was
literally filled with signals, as I tuned across the band hearing QSO's in
progress from 144.170 all the way up to 144.220. It was hard for me to believe!

I'm sure that this has something to do with the veil between ourselves and the
spirit world being thinnest at this time of year, and all that. But be in
voodoo, hoodoo, or just that Old Black Magic, I'll certainly take some of this
witchcraft!

I worked stations from Iowa, Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, Florida, South
Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, and
Arkansas, all in one magical evening!

You may say that these conditions were caused by atmospheric conditions,
related to a pressure boundary, and all that scientific mumbo-jumbo, but you
guys can't kid me. This was black magic! How else can you explain someone over
900 miles away telling a station with a 6 element indoor beam that his signal
was "So loud, literally booming in!" Or reports from three states away of "S-9
+, you're the loudest signal on the band!"

Nah, I was married on Halloween, 27 years ago---so I know a thing or two about
this darkest of holidays. You can try to feed someone else your lies about this
tropo stuff. You guys should just come clean and admit that you've made a deal
with the devil.

Regardless, as they say in Texas Hold 'Em...I'm all in! Now at 70 grids worked
on 2 Meters with my indoor antennas, I'll gladly make a bargain with Lucifer
for the next 30 grids!

Happy Halloween, indeed!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF