Re: [VHFcontesting] WSJT for random contacts in contests?

To: "'James Duffey'" <jamesduffey@comcast.net>, "'VHF Contesting Reflector'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] WSJT for random contacts in contests?
From: "Chet S" <chetsubaccount@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:26:36 -0500
My own experience is mixed about your question. No clear answer.
Being a relative newbie, I've inched my way into WSJT MS contacts during
contests.
The skeds often work out, but contacts usually take a lot of time,
especially on 2M.
I've made random contacts by calling CQ on the calling freq. Some contests
I've gotten answers. Other contests nada.

Is it worth it?
For score, maybe not. I have sometimes made a random contact on 2M this way.
But it takes a lot of time being up late at night or early AM. The time
might have been better spent sleeping, or working early morning tropo. How
many Q's will a new mult equal?

For satisfaction, yes! To me there is something awesome about bringing up
the map of grid squares already worked- and seeing the cluster of worked
squares right around your own, but also those few waaaaaay out there.
Especially on 2M. On 6M though, if the E's come in, even weak ones, then
you'll likely work those grids there too.

So again, it is a tradeoff. Definitely works for the multiops who have
someone to do it all night. For the SO, dunno.

Doing it mobile? I would tend to doubt it. Most contacts here are made with
pings only a few dB above the noise, sometimes below it. Station here is
200w with stacked yagis. Seem to me that a mobile could not do it. Maybe
K1LF will speak to this, since I believe he has indoor attic antennas and
makes WSJT contacts.

73,
Chet, N8RA, FN31