Re: [VHFcontesting] WSJT for random contacts in contests?

To: "'James Duffey'" <jamesduffey@comcast.net>, "'VHF Contesting Reflector'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] WSJT for random contacts in contests?
From: "Jim Worsham" <wa4kxy@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 21:57:42 -0500
I wouldn't try it while in motion.  You will be in a ditch or hit a tree
before you know it.  Contrary to what you may have heard WSJT really
requires a lot of work and patience to make a contact.  You have to pay
attention to what the computer is doing and keep an eye on the screen.  I
don't see how you can do that and drive safely.  I have run WSJT on 6 at
W4NH during the contests and made a few contacts but that was all done
fixed, sitting in the comfort of a chair while having a drink.  With your
setup you should be able to make some contacts.  My first WSJT contact on 6
was with K5QE in Texas.  I was here at home in Georgia running 50 Watts and
a 7 element beam.  We made the contact in less than 5 minutes.  Remember
that WSJT is a 100% duty cycle mode so you don't want to be transmitting
100% full power.  When I run WSJT on 6 at W4NH I crank the power down from 1
kw+ to around 400 - 500 Watts.  I could probably go a lot lower but when you
got the power might as well use it.

73
Jim, W4KXY

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart
you are.  If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.
Richard P. Feynman