Re: [VHFcontesting] 70cm limits in Arizona

To: Jim N7TCF <n7tcf@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 70cm limits in Arizona
From: Steve Meuse <smeuse@mara.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 20:52:06 -0500
Jim N7TCF expunged (n7tcf@cox.net):

> I remember an FCC rule limiting power on 432 to 50 watts for Arizona.
> I've done some casual searching but haven't found a clear definition.
> Can someone cite the rule and an explanation?

Fromm Part 97:
(http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/news/part97/d-305.html#313)

(f) No station may transmit with a transmitter power exceeding 50 W PEP on the
UHF 70 cm band from an area specified in footnote US7 to §2.106 of the FCC
Rules, unless expressly authorized by the FCC after mutual agreement, on a
case-by-case basis, between the District Director of the applicable field
facility and the military area frequency coordinator at the applicable military
base. An Earth station or telecommand station, however, may transmit on the
435-438 MHz segment with a maximum of 611 W effective radiated power (1 kW
equivalent isotropically radiated power) without the authorization otherwise
required. The transmitting antenna elevation angle between the lower half-power
(-3 dB relative to the peak or antenna bore sight) point and the horizon must
always be greater than 10°.

Specific to Arizona:

47 CFR 2.106 Footnote US7

(c) The entire State of Arizona;