Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] USA's FCC Petitioned to Grant 4

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] USA's FCC Petitioned to Grant 4
From: aa4zz@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:44:36 -0500
The petitioner seems to be unaware that there are some digital stations
currently using channel 4 and that channel 4
remains allocated to televsion broadcasting in the US.
I'd love a US 4 meter band but it's not likely.

73 Paul AA4ZZ

------------------------------
Message: 5
ate: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 05:53:11 -0500
rom: Dan Evans <dan.evans@insightbb.com>
ubject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] USA's FCC Petitioned to Grant 4
   Metres
o: W0WOI@aol.com
c: vhfcontesting@contesting.com, vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu
essage-ID: <4B616C97.5000402@insightbb.com>
ontent-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Wow, that would be great:-)
Although, based on previous discussions we have had here on the
eflectors I doubt that it will happen.  But it would be cool!
73
an
-
mateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269 Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
http://www.qsl.net/n9rla> List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
sk me how to join the Indiana Ham Mailing list!

W0WOI@aol.com wrote:
 _K9STH_
 (http://forums.qrz.com/member.php?s=74e526939c6294766e0d39ef959a5367&u=195296)
 Head Moderator, QRZ Staff

   FCC Petition for 4-meter band

 ____________________________________
 Per the "suggestion" that "someone" needs to  petition the FCC to establish
 a 4-meter band for amateur use in the United  States (the 4-meter band is
 available in a number of European and African  nations) I have submitted the
 following petition to the FCC:

 Glen  E. Zook
 410 Lawndale Drive
 Richardson, Texas 75080
 (972)  231-3987
 _gezook@sbcglobal.net_ (mailto:gezook@sbcglobal.net)

 27 January  2010

 Federal Communications Commission
 Office of the  Secretary
 445 12th Street, SW
 Washington, DC 20554

 Subject:  Petition for proposed changes in 47 CFR Part 97 Section 97.301(a)
 and  Section 97.305(c) to add the 4-meter band

 Commissioners:

 The  4-meter (70.000 MHz to 70.500 MHz) amateur radio band has been
 authorized  in a growing number of European and African nations and
 establishing
 such  privileges for amateur radio operators in the United States and other
 areas over which the Commission has jurisdiction would be of great benefit
 to those operators residing in such areas. The recent migration of  broadcast
 television stations to primarily the UHF frequencies basically  eliminates
 any probable interference to television channels 4 or 5 which  otherwise
 might have occurred because the 4-meter band is located on  frequencies that
 were allocated to television channel 4. Since the 4-meter  amateur radio band
 does not fall in the 72.0 MHz to 76.0 MHz segment which  is allocated to
 Operational Fixed and various mobile services there would  be no potential
 co-channel or adjacent channel interference.

 It is  proposed to allow all classes of amateur radio operators operating
 privileges on this new band. However, it is suggested that Novice Class
 licensees be restricted to a lower output level than those allowed for
 Technician Class, General Class, Advanced Class, and Amateur Extra Class
 licensees. If the present power output limitations of 1500 watts are  granted
 to the
 higher class licensees then the Novice Class licensees  should be restricted
 to no more than 200 watts power output as per most of  the privileges
 granted those operators who hold a Novice Class license. If  a lower power
 limit
 is placed on other classes of operator then the power  output limits on the
 Novice Class should be reduced accordingly. For  example, if power
 limitations of 200 watts maximum output power be placed  on Technician Class
 and
 higher licensees, then it is suggested that Novice  Class licensees be held to
 no more than 25 watts output.

 One  possible scenario would be to limit the Technician Class and higher
 licensees to 200 watts output power for a period of time (i.e. for 2  years)
 to determine any major interference problems which may occur by
 establishing these new operating privileges. At the end of that time, then
 the power
 output should be increased to the 1500 watts output power now  allowed to
 Technician Class and higher class licensees. The power output  allowed for
 Novice Class operations would then be 25 watts for 2-years  increasing to 200
 watts after the 2-year time frame.

 It is  recommended that 47 CFR Part 97 Section 97.301(a) have the following
  additions made:

 Wavelength band Region I Region II Region III  Sharing

 4m 70.0 b 70.5 MHz 70.0 b 70.5 MHz - (a)

 and  Section 97.305(c) have the following additions made:

 VHF

 4m  MCW, phone, image, RTTY, data, test (2), (5), (8)

 Respectively  submitted:

 Glen E. Zook, K9STH

 Whether or not the FCC  will even actually consider establishing a new
 amateur radio band will  have to be seen. But, nothing tried, nothing gained!

 Glen, K9STH
 ------