[VHFcontesting] microwave reflector dishes question

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] microwave reflector dishes question
From: "David Ashworth" <ahab@sonic.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 05:18:40 -0000
Hello to the group, hope everyone is well.  I have a question as regards
microwave reflectors.  A fellow ham buddy has two military surplus microwave
reflector dishes  4 or 5' around, could measure them if that helps.  They
have a hole in the center and some holes around the center hole that
probably mounted the guts of the antenna.  So, my question-is there a good
rule of thumb as to what frequencies will work with a certain size of dish?
For example, with a 5' dish, could I put in a dipole element similar to what
a corner reflector uses, say for 432?  Or, would these be for something
higher in frequency? Haven't had much experience with these, so any help or
pointers will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance, happy trails, Dave, NC6P