Re: [VHFcontesting] Rovers using Yaesu rotators

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rovers using Yaesu rotators
From: "Joshua M. Arritt" <jarritt@vt.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 17:27:54 -0500
Jon's right -- my solar/battery home station makes (*minimal*) use of a
G-800 to rotate 11 el on 222 and 19 el on 432.  Minimal -- because with
only 240Ah of battery, I must be careful to budget the energy storage
between rotating and transmitting.  (some wider-beam ants are available
on a coax switch for both bands at opposing azimuths, which helps).

The rotor came to me for free, in need of an "oil change", and
"headless" -- that is, without a controller.  Thus after getting the
mechanics in working order, I dove into the junk box with a hot hatchet
in hand to forge my own.  Works, but boy howdy, those factory jobs sure
are prettier!

73,
 - Josh / KF4YLM