Re: [VHFcontesting] [Fwd: Use of negative voltage to reduce power with F

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [Fwd: Use of negative voltage to reduce power with FT-847]
From: Eric Watkins <shelshok@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 18:11:52 -0700
I think you just nailed the reason many people use the 817 to drive
their DEMI gear. Since the TX won't make more than 5W even in it's
highest power mode, you don't have to worry about cooking your shiny xverter.

Because I don't want to incur time for repair on the units, the last
thing I want to do is cook them with 100w spikes on TX due to ALC,
even if only for a few seconds. Running the bands with several
multi-op stations at each new grid can really add up.

I know the 857 has a low power jumper on the power input cable. If
you ground it, the rig is supposed to put out no more than 10W. Not
sure if this is via ALC or if it somehow bypasses a PA. In any case,
if you only had a 857 that route might be worth investigating. Not
sure if the 847 has this feature, check it out.

At some point I'm going to switch over to the low power flex radio
SDR, which is also a nice IF rig power wise.

I'm curious to see what the results of your o-scope work finds. Please post!

Have fun on 900!

kr0ver