Re: [VHFcontesting] Assisted Classes

To: les@highnoonfilm.com, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Assisted Classes
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 17:04:01 EST
On VHF there is not all that much to be gained from watching cluster spots.
 A spot from someone two hundred miles east of me, spotting someone 400
miles  east of me, is likely to be useless. A spot from someone at the fringes
of my  coverage is not of much value unless his beam heading can also be
spotted, and  that heading is pointed at me.

There can be some value in monitoring spots to learn about band openings.
But then again, if those openings aren't to my area, they aren't worth  much.

I think the bigger concern in using the cluster is the temptation to make
the qso "over the cluster" -  the "Do you hear me now, on 432.125?" "Oh
yeah, there you are (wink, wink)" .

Likewise is the temptation to make digital scatter contacts using  the
cluster: "OK, I'm listening on 144.280. Go ahead and transmit"   "Nothing
heard,
let me now transmit.  Are you QRV?"

The best way to get a good/winning score remains to have a good  station in
a good location, and to do lots of CQing to drag up people tuning  around.
Sitting around passively watching cluster spots won't win you  anything.

73  -  Jim   K8MR

In a message dated 2/16/2010 12:42:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,