Re: [VHFcontesting] Activity in the ARRL VHF Contests SInce 1991

To: ezimmerm@erols.com, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Activity in the ARRL VHF Contests SInce 1991
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 12:52:15 EST
I think we all agree that getting the IC-706 or K3 kind of HF guy into  VHF
is critical.  And while we can all beg and plead to our friends to get  on,
we are stuck with an old rule in the ARRL contests that is
counterproductive  in the quest to get those guys on the air.   That is the
rule  (General
VHF Rule 1.3) that limits an operator to one entry. That precludes a  very
effective way to show guys what VHF is - an experienced VHF guy going to a
newbie's QTH and showing him in person what his station can do. (Sure, we
could  do it and not send in an entry, but if his station is on the air why not
get his  call into the results?)

I have asked over the years, and nobody has ever been able to come up with
a rationale for this rule.  Does anyone care to try again?

A related rule - VHF rule 1.2 - also limits a transmitter, receiver, or
antenna to being used under only one call. I understand a reason for this rule
-  cases such as the guys at a big hamfest back 10 years, who had a flea
market  spot with a yagi pointed towards a distant multiop hilltop QTH,
inviting guys to  hook up their HT's and work that multi. But at the same time
if
I could take a  couple of antennas and a couple of bands of radios
(essentially a  rover station) to a friend's place, and show him in person what
can
be done  on VHF, along with a running explanation of VHF contesting, that
would be a far  more effective approach than hoping he gets on and can figure
it out on his  own.

I've been doing multiple station, multiple entries for years in the HF CW
SS, and nobody minds the extra qsos. What is the hangup on VHF? Also, if
necessary, could a different approach be used to prevent manufactured qsos, so
 that one could demonstrate VHF contesting in real life?

73  -   Jim   K8MR

In a message dated 3/2/2010 2:28:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,