Re: [VHFcontesting] Getting beginners interested in VHF Contesting

Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Getting beginners interested in VHF Contesting
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 20:42:42 -0500
 From the conversations I've had with non-VHFers, cost is a major issue
to getting on VHF/UHF.  On HF you can toss a $5 dipole in a tree, feed
it witn junk coax and work a bunch of people on 80 and 40.  As W3ZZ
points out, that doesn't work on VHF.  Most decent VHF/UHF antennas are
at least $100, and a decent low lost feedline is at least $50, depending
on how much length you need.  So $150 gets you ONE BAND worth of
effective antenna.  Joe706 needs $450 worth of antennas (assuming he has
a support for them) just to try something he might not even enjoy
doing.  And if he want to get on a band where he needs a transverter,
that's another $400.

W3ZZ and I were discussing this at Dayton last year.  I compared this
situation to the 50's, when Mosley or whomever commercialized the first
20-15-10 triband beam.  Three bands from a single aerial and feedline,
reasonable cost and manageable size did a lot for activity on those
bands.  Where would we be today in regards to contesting and DXing,
without the triband beam?

What we need is somebody to come up with a good 50-144-432 triband
antenna with a single feedline to go along with the IC-706s and the
various Yaesu FT-8x7s out there.  If it were commercially available in
the range of $100-$200, that would be terrific.  Icom and Yaesu have
done a terrific job with creating 50/144/432 rigs at reasonable cost,
now if somebody could solve the antenna issue as well...

Lacking such an antenna, I think WA5VJB's "Cheap Yagis" are a great way
to get started for low $$$.  I'm gonna try to build a few this summer
for two reasons: 1) To see for myself how reproduceable these antennas
are, and 2) to have some antennas I can loan out if any of my "Joe706"
friends wanna try VHF contesting.

Just my $0.02

73, Dave/K8CC