Re: [VHFcontesting] Getting beginners interested in VHF Contesting

To: "'David Pruett'" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Getting beginners interested in VHF Contesting
From: "Eugene Zimmerman" <ezimmerm@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 16:11:22 -0500
Dave

No doubt a VHF tribander would be a great boon to VHF activity. As far as I
know only one was ever marketed. Ariane, the company that took over C3I when
Owen Wormser retired, had one on their books. It was about 15 feet long but
was not cheap - in the $300 range or maybe more - I don't remember. I know
who designed this one and his antennas work so I assume this one would have
worked. Unfortunately Ariane succumbed to high aluminum prices soon
afterward so we have no way of knowing.

Costs are not trivial because I'd guess it took some real engineering to
make all three section work independently and aluminum costs are
unpleasantly high.

The first homebrew HF tribander I ever saw was designed by my mentor, Len
Chertok W3GRF, and had 2 el on 20 3 el on 14 and 5 el on 10 in line. It was
around a 36 foot boom and was designed empircally there being no modeling
software available in the 1950's accesible by hams. It gave a very good
account of itself and I suspect that a VHF in-line tribander might work with
very little interaction between the bands. For the experimenters I would
start with WA5VJB 6 el cheap yagi on 2 and an 11 el cheap yagi on 432. That
makes a ~135 inch boom so far. At the rear end I would add a 2 el 6M moxxon
either homebrew or the one from Par Electronics if Dale still sells those.
Even buying the 6M portion I'd bet the antenna would cost less than $150.

If someone designs a tribander, models it and can describe it in 2 QST pages
I will offer to publish it in the World Above 50 MHz. The key of course is
something that is readily reproducible without tons of test equipment. That
is the primary virtue of the Cheap single band Yagis.

73 Gene W3ZZ