Re: [VHFcontesting] Triband antenna for Joe 706

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Triband antenna for Joe 706
From: Dan Evans <dan.evans@insightbb.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 17:19:46 -0500
I think we are all over looking a pretty simple solution.

Typically, quads don't fit well with VHF ops because it complicates
putting several antennas on the same mast.   Like the traditional
"Christmas tree" style.

However, if we are targeting a new op trying to get his 706 on the air
with as simple an antenna as possible, then an interlaced quad would
likely be the best fit.

For example, start with a 6' or so boom.  This should give you enough
room for about 3 "outside" elements for 6 meters.  On the same boom,
you can likely put 5 or 6 elements for two meters. [I am doing this from
memory, hi hi]  For 432, I would guess you would get around 12 elements
on the same boom.

Run the feeds out to a common point and join 2 & 432 with a diplexer.
Most rigs use a separate feed line for 6, and a common one for 2 & 432.

Cheap to build.  Good performance.  Uses two feed lines.  Not a lot
different than the famous HF multi-band quads...

Now I may just have to build the darn thing to prove the point!!!   Does
someone want to model it for me?

73
Dan
--
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269 Check out the Rover Resource Page at: