[VHFcontesting] LFA Yagi Discussion

To: "VHF List" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "VHF List Non-Contest" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, "WSJT List" <wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] LFA Yagi Discussion
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:31:03 -0600
I've been following the articles in DUBUS magazine with great interest
concerning the Loop Fed Array Yagi designs of G0KSC. Chief among the advantages
cited is lower overall noise response, and wide bandwidth.

If true, both these characteristics have real advantages to those of us who
operate from urban and suburban environments where local news are perhaps the
biggest barrier to working weak stations. My own situation is particularly
prone to these problems, with my antenna stack being located inside my attic.

You can read a lot more about this design at:

http://www.g0ksc.co.uk/component/content/article/25-the-project/107-lfa-arrived.html

I know that Force 12 is marketing commercial versions of this antenna, but I
haven't seen much feedback yet from end-users. I'd love to hear some comments
from anyone who's had a chance to evaluate this design or who could comment on
it's on air performance. I'm looking at having a couple custom made to fit
inside my attic for 2 Meters and 6 Meters.

I'm hoping they might really improve my ability to decode weak signals on the
WSJT modes.

Anyone had a chance to try these yet?

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF